Imaddicted.co.uk This site for people that are addicted to something...anything...everything ..the more information/content and members the better... no copywrite intened

DECORATING MATERIALS                                                   

 A Quick overview of materials



 Fillers come in two catergories; ready to use and those you mix yourself. The only one that you would normally mix yourself is filler bought in powder form that you mix with water to form a paste. It is cheaper to mix this kind of filler yourself than to buy it ready-mixed. This kind of filler, e.g.Polyfilla™, is used to repair cracks in plaster, holes and other general repairs. Linseed oil Putty is only used to repair and fill holes in wood, glazing around wooden and metal frames and windows. Brummer or wood filler is used to repair holes in wood and dries rock hard so apply it as smoothly as possible.


 Primers are used to apply first coat to bare wood and metal. For galvanised metal a special zinc primer must be used otherwise your subsequent coats will eventually flake off.


 Sealers are used for preserving, waterproofing and preventing problems occuring to subsequent coats caused by chemicals and fungi seeping through from the underlying surface. Many different sealers are used to counteract different problems.


 Undercoats/basecoats provide the surface for the following finish coat. This is by far the most important stage in getting a first class finish. If necessary a second or even third undercoat should be applied if needed.


 Gloss, semi-gloss, eggshell and matt are the usual type of finishes used; a high-gloss finish being far the most common. It is often difficult to get an undercoat to match various stronger colours and manufacturers normally recommend two coats of finish.


 These are paints, (which are water-based) for use on ceilings and walls. They are easy to use and dry quickly. They can be used on interior wood but lack the hard-wearing qualities of undercoat and gloss.


 A very important part of decorating is preparing the surfaces to be painted. Sandpaper is the most commonly used material for rubbing-down. Sanding pads are useful too. Lots of materials can be used, e.g. Pumice stone.


 The two most common thinners used are water(for emulsions/latex) and Turpentine Substitute or White Spirit( for solvent based paints). Special spirit thinners are needed for cellulose paints.


Google +1 Button

Amazon Related Products

Amazon Search

Twitter Tweet Button


Buy now

Instant Superhero movies

Superhero Movies on DVD

Action Movies on DVD

Instant Action Movies

Animated Movies

Instant Animated Movies

Prime Instant Movies